Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wifey Wednesday

Do you sometimes feel like this in the kitchen?


I think we all do, but here is something I like to do to inspire myself to feel a little more...inspired:



What is that, you say? Let me tell a little story.

My namesake and grandmother, Helen, has taught me many important lessons in life. An incredible artist and athlete in her prime, I have always admired her creativity, organization and general zest for life. As her standard protocol would require, she was always ready to host a seated dinner for 30, not to mention allowing my uncle to host upwards of 30 aquariums in his room as a child. Needless to say, Grandmother has the woman thing down.

Is she such a dish or what? Check out this picture from her newlywed days:



One of my favorites: a school play with the kids. When was the last time your mom wore this to your school play?!



I mean, she definitely has a good eye for style, and boldness to boot.

Today, she and my Granddaddy spend their days relaxing and dancing to old Frank Sinatra CDs and driving up the old Trans-mountain Road to get to the mountain home they've spent the weekend in for the past 40ish years. So many years of wisdom are bound to teach a young girl a thing or two.

So what stands out in my mind? Well, several things! But on a daily basis: my apron collection. A collection of vintage aprons from Grandmother's kitchen ("do you want those old things? I was going to toss them away!") finds a home in my little laundry room, and never fails to make my each and every cooking experience a complete delight.

How could you not be happy when you have a perfectly good excuse to use one of these?



And here's one of my favorites. The full-coverage gingham Dorothy-esque ensemble is really best for frying. It can actually save your clothes from an awfully oily mess:



Thank you, Grandmother!

Need to start your own collection? Totally understandable. Thankfully, I ran into this precious site. With designs like Jessie Steele's, you're certain never to have an un-fun cooking day again.


Also, Ballyhoo Vintage had quite the supply of extra-authentic duds. Brace yourself because honestly, each one on the site is cuter than the last. You could probably claim that these came straight from Nana's pantry! I'd like to some for myself:



See what I mean?



Sew your own? You've out-woman-ed us all. Take a trip to sovintagepatterns.com to pick out your ideal form.
Maybe this one?



Aprons don't have to be suffocating! Everyone's entitled to a little fun and cuteness in the kitchen. Because, simply, why not?

1 comment:

  1. I love aprons! I give them as gifts, wear them on occasion, and they hang on display in our dining room!

    Love that you have the "real deal" from Grandmother! That's the best!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails