Monday, December 13, 2010

Brrrr!




















So I was naively skeptical when folks told me the Charles River would freeze over. How could it possibly get that cold?! Well, my friends, it got that cold. The good news is, I'm still alive to tell you about it.

The bad news is, we haven't even had our first snow yet (though it has already dropped to 11 degrees, as I noted on Facebook after walking little Dixie that morning), and I'm told the stuff could stick around until April. Gross.

Now, I'm no expert, but I hope you'll enjoy these cold weather tips from a Texas girl:
  • Do not expose your skin in any form or fashion
  • Tory Burch flats are not appropriate cold-weather footwear
  • Earmuffs are much more forgiving than wool or knit hats for keeping hairdos intact
  • Down > wool (but makes a mighty duo paired together)
  • You can wear anything under a down coat (imagine trolling around town in a sleeping bag)
  • Get gloves with the popover mitten thingy (JCrew "glittens")
  • Give yourself 7-8 extra minutes to bundle up and get out of the house
  • It's hard to be cute and warm
  • Learn to love pale skin
  • Keep wearing sunscreen - I still dab SPF 55 on my face daily
  • And finally... stay in the house!

I know you won't believe me, but I'm truly trying hard to embrace this weather as "part of the experience."As I turn into an ice cube on my walk to the office, I just imagine those long, hot summer days in Dallas, with no end in sight to 105+ temps. Why must I always live in a city that produces temperature extremes? Let's see if we can get California on the agenda :)

So far, I've handled this first true cold bout well... but I'll give you permission to go ahead and ask me again in April when the river is still frozen. Then let's see how I've fared.

Here's to staying warm!

4 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I'm glad you've already figured out those tips! I will never *like* winter, but I too have learned to survive - the key is definitely dressing appropriately...and finding stuff cute enough you tolerate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh brother! That's sounds miserable hal pal. But you could be in the extreme op situation like I am. It was 90 degrees here yesterday in Los Angeles, but I wore a flannel shirt anyway. Gotta get those winter outfits in. Today I'm wearing a bright green polo cable knit sweater. High? 77 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Boston-area girl myself, I am impressed that you've come to those conclusions after such a short time here. I can tell you that unfortunately, the cold weather is much, much easier to tolerate when gearing up for the holidays. After New Year's, it does start to wear on a girl. But keep the faith and keep investing in cute cold-weather gear, because spring WILL come. Eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I have lots to learn... first snow coming this week - wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails