Monday, June 29, 2009

The Wrong Way

This weekend, I decided to make Hubby and our guests some delicious chocolate molten cakes for his birthday celebration. I found the perfect recipe here, and the photo left me drooling before I could even read the so-bad-but-oh-so-good ingredients:




New recipe with company over? No problem. I always head that mantra, but never felt it applied to me. So, throwing caution to the wind, I whipped up some batter and prepped a buttery pan, feeling confident in my pursuit of the golden molten. Hubby's favorite molten in town can be found at Hattie's. So naturally, as any slightly-competitive baker would also do, I wanted to replicate... and hopefully surpass the legendary greatness :)

However, that was because I'd never experienced quite a dilemma like yesterday's... Until yesterday, I had lucked out by following directions closely, and relying on my limited baking experience to help me salvage disaster.

I filled the tin with this beautiful chocolate/butter/sugar batter, and set my kitchen timer:




Well, the buzzer went off, the oven door opened, and then it hit me. How in the world was I going to remove the cakes-- intact -- onto 12 individual plates?

Yikes.

This is the catastrophe ladies must be talking about when they heed caution about trying new recipes for guests. I had done everything right--plenty of butter in the molds, plenty of baking time, plenty of rest time. Unfortunately, it was not enough. I had put all my eggs in one basket and there was just no way to salvage them in one piece. I flipped the pan over and attempted a classic mold-removal move. Tapping the bottoms of each mold with a knife, I was hoping that this small kick would send each cake perfectly onto the baking sheet. Instead of perfect cakes with a hidden molten chocolate center, I ended up with some plops of molten with no sign of a nice cakey shell... smeared across the baking sheet.

I had to act fast.

My quick fix? Tag-team with hubby using spatulas and spoons to scoop, transferring to bowls, not plates, and piling high with plenty of (homemade) whipped cream to conceal my hasty error.

So, because of this mishap, I want to share with you the right way. The Right Way involves baking in individual ramekins, as opposed to the jailhouse a muffin tin can become with an ooey-gooey cake inside (times 12).

So let's view some cute ramekins that will make your cake baking a much happier experience. The beauty of the ramekin is that it offers a simple one-step way to bake and serve individual desserts.

First, there is the classic white ramekin, which you can always find at WS:

I also love these "Baking Days" ramekins from Spode (they come in lots of other cute colors too!):


And, of course, these adorable Juliska Berry & Thread ramekins:


So whether you brave the muffin tin, or opt for a ramekin (my strong suggestion!), I hope you enjoy baking some delicious chocolate molten cake soon. Oven to table in a pinch, other excuses to use ramekins include but are not limited to: mac n' cheese, souffles, cobblers and more!

Is it really almost July?


2 comments:

  1. Heehee! wish you had posted the after! I'm sure it looked awesome and was still delicious, but thanks for sharing your blunder with the rest of us. Heaven knows I've had very many baking blunders myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hal-pal - if Addy had been in the kitchen with you. ( Do you get it????) Let me know.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails