Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wifey Wednesday

Sometimes, a wife needs to share her culinary chopping post in the kitchen with her husband. So today, for Wifey Wednesday, I give you:

"Hubby Tackles the Yucca"

I think you'll find his determination (and raw skill!) to prepare handmade yucca fries quite inspiring. Whilst at the grocery store, Hubby spotted possibly the ugliest produce item I believe I've ever seen: the yucca (no offense). Lo and behold, half an hour later, we had carted the thing home and there it lay, dead as tree bark on a chopping board.




Hubby spent the entire day researching the perfect recipe and method, so I let him take the reins for the project. He began by peeling the "bark" (as we called it) off and then chopping the root into tiny rectangular sticks, about 1/4"-1/2" thick, and about 2" long,



He then boiled the fries for 10 minutes or so to soften them up before the big fry,



And then he did the unthinkable:



He fried these bad boys in Crisco for about 4 minutes.

I don't usually promote the use of Crisco for everyday cooking (though a fried treat is tasty, I have trouble intentionally preparing this type of dish. Hubby, on the other hand, has no such inhibitions), but I set my judgments aside, and looked forward to the long-term goal.



Did your sauce pan come with a splatter screen? Well, frying is the time to use it, if you have one, back in the depths of your cabinetry. Hot oil will scald you unsuspectingly if you leave pots of boiling oil like this uncovered. Kind of a pain to clean, but worth it to avoid oil burns (obviously).



After the fries were sufficiently fried (4 minutes, like I said), Hubby placed them on a paper towel to drain (ehhhh). Meanwhile, he squeezed fresh lime juice and gave them a nice coating of salt to make a well-balanced crispy-but-soft, salty-but-sweet delight.




Even if you're not so into the frying, I'd give this recipe a whirl. Dash a little lemon and garlic salt into mayo for a yum-yum dipping sauce on the side. It's totally worth it, believe me.




Here's to yucca! Yucca: Making boring meals of left-overs just a little more exciting :)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE yucca fries!! They're some of my very favorite things to order... I'm so happy I have a recipe now! We'll have to try them for our neighbors dinners next fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hal pal - Uncle Mikey wants to know where the rest of the meal is, but he thinks this would make a swell appetizer!

    Love,
    The Roe Family

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails