Monday, July 13, 2009

Cappuccino Bliss

One of my favorite treats to enjoy is a creamy, frothy, cappuccino. There's nothing like getting the real thing in Italy,




but I do my best to replicate the dream here at home:



It's never the same!

Today, I was in Italian summer mode and craving a nice big cappuccino. So, I got out my Illy,



pressed my espresso,




frothed my milk,



and suddenly stopped to remember: today the temperature had reached 105. That nice new cappuccino didn't look so good anymore.



I was melting just looking at it.

Thinking fast, I whipped out Hubby's handy cocktail shaker and filled it about 2/3 with ice, and then poured in my cappuccino. I shook the drink until it was thoroughly chilled. Meanwhile, I "tenderized" some ice in a zip-lock bag to keep my iced coffee nice and chilly:




I poured the iced cappuccino into my favorite little goblet,




and done!




Now, I'm not trying to say I invented iced coffee. Obviously, it has been done before. It's just easy (for me) to forget how simple it is to make, and how refreshing it can be matched against scorching temps outside. I got all the satisfaction of a cappuccino, without feeling like I was sitting on my stove. For a quicker approach, this recipe can be made without first frothing the milk. Feel free to throw it right in the shaker-- or not at all if you're not a milk-in-coffee fan.

Here are a couple quick tips to close with: sweeten your drink (if you like) while it is still hot. You know what a mess it can be to stir in sweetener into an icy beverage! For best results, use rich strong espresso when you can. Remember that adding ice and milk can dilute the coffee flavor we all love, so it's better to start off strong. I used Illy find ground espresso and 1% milk, but you can use whichever coffee and milk combo is your favorite.

Additionally
, I recommend whipped cream to top this, and maybe a little cinnamon :) If you're feeling really decadent, throw in a scoop or two of your favorite coffee ice cream... you'll be hooked on a new favorite dessert in no time.



1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails