Sunday, May 3, 2009

"We Don't Do Bathrooms"

This weekend my momma and I ventured out to embark on one of our most favorite pastimes: estate sale shopping.

I'm not sure how we developed the passion, though I think it just grew out of a shared love for scoring thrifty finds. The two of us just can't get enough browsing and scouting out and knowing all merchandise in town at all times. Estate sales offer something unique, and hidden... a sneak peek into someone else's life, which cannot be purchased at a store. Admittedly a slightly creepy way to spend time, shopping at estate sales is an excellent way to acquire pieces with "good bones" if you've got the time to spruce them up with a little re-design TLC.

The weather was a rainy mess on Saturday, so we were left with just enough time to hit this little sale before the storm.

First we came across the standard spread of china, glasses, compotes, candlesticks and more. The family's last initial began with "F" and we found several pieces of monogrammed flatware. The monograms looked great, and kudos to the lady in charge, but this personalization definitely deterred us from several of the tabletop pieces.




I was oooh-ing over this gorgeous Wedgewood creamer, which I thought would make a precious vase for a bunch of ivory roses, or even a make-up brush holder:




Next, I got into serious reupholster mode. This family had some really nice pieces of furniture with loads of style, but the upholstery for the most part was extremely dated. I really can't resist upholstered pieces with wooden frames, so I obviously became quickly obsessed with the following pieces:

This would be so fun in a quirky graphic print. It would be perfect amounts of unexpected, stylish, and almost kind of classic:



This too, could make the cutest desk or vanity chair. The fabric (close up is yellow, ivory and white corduroy stripes) didn't really need replacing- I love the dainty color- but I would consider painting the frame ivory (or even gold-gasp!) for some added femininity. My mom was in love with the tiny little side table, that has a leaf pull-out tray, which would be perfect to rest a teacup on in a guest room. This piece too, needs to be a lighter color because it is so pretty and petite:



This chair is so perfectly preserved from the '70s and I think it would look great with a heavy canvas upholstery (maybe even black with white frame?) and punchy bright pillows (clearly some embroidered ones from Anthro). The great details like studding and the tiny (unnecessary?) wheels on the bottom make it unique and well made:




And here is the entire reason I am doing this post. I think this couch is so fabulous. Call me crazy, but I think it has all the elements to make it a fun statement piece in a living room. I can't decide what I think about the golden velour upholstery... just typing those words makes me re-think it again. Sadly, this piece was sold, but hopefully the new owner has cute taste and a good vision for updates:



So the lady who lived here was apparently an expert seamstress. I found this wall-hanging in the hall and just went crazy over it. It was $15, and I probably should have snatched it right up. Would this be the cutest piece for a little girl's room or what? Not that we are in the market for a piece like that (!), but it is too cute so I had to share! The patterns, textures and colors had me mesmerized:



I had to show you these. Hubby is in the market for some new clubs himself, but he is looking for something... a little more updated than this. The bag is FAB (would look so good with a preppy golf outfit), but I'm sure the clubs have outdated technology, so I did not purchase:



Vintage suitcases for $4 each?! I mean, you would kill your back lugging these whales around, but you'd look hot at the airport with such carefully crafted pieces. I also felt like that wool fabric would feel so hot and itchy to carry around in the summer. Right? Beauty is pain:



This fur, unfortunately had a pretty noticeable tear on the top of the right sleeve. Otherwise, the swing-style coat was so cute with 3/4 length sleeves, single button closure and hitting at the hip:



I can totally understand if you're slightly grossed-out by this form of shopping. Not everyone loves it, and I can respect that. However, you have to consider that most estate sale items are listed for such a reasonable price, that you just can't complain too much. But beware: some sales sell items in literally every room in the house, bathrooms included. So steer clear for obvious reasons. Also, estate sales are quite different from garage sales. You probably know that, however, if you've been scarred by an icky garage sale, don't let it discourage you from visiting some estates, as these seem to be safer options for you squeamish vintage shoppers. For the record, I am not renouncing garage sales! There are many a good find to be found with some good patience and vision and a good shopping buddy.

I learned the ropes from my mom for finding some hidden treasures, "We don't do garage sales (for the most part!), and we definitely don't do bathrooms!"

1 comment:

  1. What a gem of an estate sale! I too like to frequent such sales and have found extremely good deals. Most recently scored 3 lamps for $25--two of them matching green and one a beautiful Tiffany turquoise color. Still looking for lampshades, but it was worth it.

    And just FYI, i ventured into a bathroom at the last estate sale I attended and found an adorable framed little art piece that is absolutely perfect in my kitchen. So you just never know.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails