Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Montreal Fall

Just when I thought we'd had our international fix for the year, Hubby whisked me off to Canada for a fun and fast weekend in Montreal. We're not used to being in driving distance to Canada, so of course we were happy to take advantage of our (relatively) insane proximity.

The trip was perfectly timed for some excellent leaf peeping along the way. I'll never forget my "first fall" last year - I was totally enchanted by the perfectly golden, coral and flaming orange trees around Cambridge, and I'm pleased to say the fixation has not grown dull. Montreal offered a grand display, and though the day was otherwise dreary, this lovely foliage offered life and vibrance to the city.







It is really a great city and I only wish we had more time to spend there. Because time was precious, our  goal in Montreal was simple: relax and eat tons of poutine. 



We were first introduced to this to-die-for dish during our summer in LA. Braised succulent meat atop delicious french fries and accessorized with cheese - if this is an excuse for a meal, I'm totally game. So for Hubby's birthday, we went to a fantastic spot called Animal - and the name basically tells it all. Those in the WeHo area must check it out. Don't get freaked out by the menu: pigs ears, bone marrow, braised oxtail, etc... the dishes are made to taste delicious and each new order is a true work of art. As you might guess, our hands-down favorite dish was the braised oxtail poutine - drenched in rich gravy and cheddar cheese, this spin on the classic Montreal treat really hit the spot and left us wanting more.

So, four months later, thanks to lots of research and first-hand recommendations, we found our palace of poutine at La Banquise. As our photos will show, this is no delicate dish. Now that we've tried a few varieties, we're dying to make our own version.






Just looking at the pictures makes me full. Hopefully we can follow through this fall/winter - you know I'll share the recipe!

4 comments:

  1. This is making me crave a Montreal trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I could experience a legit fall! This is my absolute most favorite time of year. I can't wait to see your recipe.

    I love elf, but the one thing I was NOT impressed with was the $1 eye shadows. It's the only thing I wouldn't buy again. Their 3 dollar studio eye shadows are great, though. And I highly recommend the $3 mineral infused mascara. I haven't tried the dollar bronzer, but the studio 4 tone bronzer was good. I could go on for days about elf. Anywho, I'm so glad you're back to blogging!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.s. Thank you for the sweet comment about my blog! :) your blog was totally the reason I started blogging, I loved it so much. (Still do)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love poutine! And I have never had better than in Montreal. Soooo want to go back!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails