Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rooting Mint

As you may remember, my sweet mother-in-law graced me with a lovely mint plant a while ago, and since then, I cannot believe how large it has grown!

Not too long ago:


Today:


To my happy surprise, the plant is now a small bush, and provides our household with a bountiful mint supply.

Hubby's got quite a mean mojito recipe going, and I've been enjoying using it as a garnish on dinners, tea, drinks, and--my favorite-- to refresh my bedtime glass of water (oh-so-refreshing! put a little mint, water and ice in your cocktail shaker for the perfect relaxing sip).

All that to say, with all our minty bounty, I'd like to share the wealth! Let us officially begin our first project in rooting. The simple process of growing another plant, using your existing plant as a starter.

I've done some research to find that mint is especially easy to root. First, I snipped off two 8" pieces (doubling-up for good luck) of mint, cleaned it thoroughly, and placed it in water.


Soon enough, I'm told, roots will develop and the plant will be strong enough to pot. Good or bad, I'll report back with results.

2 comments:

  1. hey Hal! when i planted mint, i just stuck it in the ground and didnt even root it and it took off! it's extremely difficult to kill this stuff, i think. keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good to know! i kept reading that mint was pretty hard to mess up, so hopefully we're in luck! i'll update you on the progress soon :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails